SKIL 3386-01 2.5 Amp 9 Inch Band Saw
The SKIL 3386-01 2.5 Amp 9 Inch Band Saw is the vertical band saw of choice for novice woodworkers. It provides all the necessary equipment to rip lumber and cut complicated shapes into your workpiece.
The 1-speed motor can be used on wood or metal based materials, but works best with wood using the 6-TPI blade. To keep your work area clear, its 1 ½ inch dust port will collect any sawdust created, keeping your eyes and your workshop free from contaminants.
User-friendly benefits include an articulating LED light that allows for a clearer cut line and view of your workpiece and a rack and pinion table adjustment that allows the user to adjust angle and height with ease.
The SKIL 3386-01 2.5 Amp 9 Inch Band Saw allows for a range of cuts, including complicated shapes and lines, straight cuts using the rip fence, and cross cuts with its custom miter gauge, making it the tool of choice for amateur woodworkers.
- Very simple to set up and install, easy to use, and a breeze to keep clean and maintain;
- This band saw is on the lower end of the price scale, making it a great choice for someone’s first vertical band saw purchase;
- Works extremely well with lighter wood materials and can perform intricate cuts quite easily;
- This vertical band saw has quite a lot of vibration when in use, and can affect the quality and precision of your cut;
- A lot of this machine is made from plastic so the overall quality is not as high as it could be, causing the machine to come off feeling a little flimsy;
- It’s not very powerful, so would only be suited to hobbyists who are in the market for something to work with light materials or to do small jobs around the home;
For someone in the market for a more serious machine with a bit of torque, the SKIL 3386-01 2.5 Amp 9 Inch Band Saw is not the right fit. This vertical band saw would make the ideal addition to an amateur or hobbyist woodworker who wants an easy-to-use machine to start out with, or just something to perform cuts on a more lightweight material.
Its price range is attractive, again adding to its appeal as a first time woodworker’s dream, and can be purchased for just over $100 at the right places. However, you do get what you pay for here as this band saw can feel a bit flimsy in certain areas and not as high quality as its competitors. Once out of the box, it was a breeze to set up and configure, and even easier to keep clean and maintain.
There were some issues with vibration when using, and it required quite a bit of aligning to keep it cutting correctly. The vibration was bad enough at points that it affected the precision of the cut, so it’s not always entirely accurate.
Overall, this machine is perfect for lightweight woodworkers, hobbyists, or even someone who wants a band saw to perform some odd jobs around the home. If you’re after something a little more serious, this machine is probably not the choice for you.